Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Artist Appreciation Month: Super Jane Smith Interview

Hello, hello! This month I am pleased as punch to have been asked to participate in an Artist Appreciate Month Interview, conducted by the lovely, multi-talented Patience Brewster. Patience is an Artist/Illustrator/Designer, who specializes in art licensing and product design. She is well-known for her ornament collections and greeting cards. You can discover more about Patience & her artwork here.

© Super Jane Smith • Robot City 

Patience Brewster: As a child, do you recall a significant moment when you felt truly affected or inspired by any particular artwork or artist?

Super Jane: Growing up I often visited the Columbus Museum of Art in Ohio where I lived and there were several pieces in their permanent collection that I loved to visit (still do when I am back in town!). They have a fantastic Louise Nevelson sculpture—huge and black, it is a veritable hidden picture of found objects—that I could spent hours staring at. I also had a deep affection for Edward Hopper’s Morning Sun painting (the light is gorgeous!) and the Henry Moore sculpture that graces the front lawn of the museum. Additionally, the museum’s great work highlighting local artists exposed to me to the works of Elijah Pierce, Aminah Robinson and George Bellows. Each of these three artists fueled my passion for art at a young age and have stayed with me.

© Super Jane Smith • Woodland Babies main repeat

Patience Brewster: As an artist, what do you hope to convey with your work?

Super Jane: I hope to impart a bit of whimsy, lightheartedness and beautiful color to the viewer. I want my work to be a spot of brightness that lifts you up.

Patience Brewster: What memorable responses have you had to your work?

Super Jane: This is SO hard to answer! As an artist, the nature of my business is such that I spend a lot of time alone in my studio and am often sending my artwork out into the world all on its own.

I think that the most memorable response I ever had to my artwork was during a business trip to NY. I had a meeting at a publishing house with an editor & an art director who were interested in my artwork. An editorial assistant was send out to greet me when I arrived and to usher me back to the meeting. And that editorial assistant was THRILLED to meet me! She said she couldn’t believe that Super Jane was actually there in person and when we passed her desk, I could see that she had hung up all my postcard mailings from the past couple years. I was deeply gratified to know that someone was watching, absorbing and dreaming of my artwork!

© Super Jane Smith • Kitty & Doggie Pets

Patience Brewster: What is your dream project?

Super Jane: At the moment, I am actually living my dream project! I am currently writingand illustrating a 6-book series of children’s picture books for Albert Whitman& Co. The first 4 will be released in Spring 2016. Stay tuned to Bird Meets Worm for more details over the coming months!

© Super Jane Smith • April Showers Bring May Flowers repeat

Patience Brewster: What artists, of any medium, do you admire? (Famous or not!)

Super Jane: There are SO many—too many to name them all!! My long-time loves include Robert Rauschenberg, Franz Kline & Mark Rothko, as well as the photography of David Hockney, Ben Shahn & Edward Weston.

In the commercial illustration world, I adore the artist stables of Lilla Rogers, Cinnamon Joe and Pink Light Studios. I also can’t get enough of the following children’s book illustrators: Eric Carle, Elisa Kleven, Melissa Sweet, Oliver Jeffers, Lois Ehlert, Richard Scary—& that’s just who I can think of off the top of my head!

© Super Jane Smith • Lightning Bugs

Additionally, I am truly blessed to be living in Los Angeles among so many friends and family, who are genuinely gifted artists, writers and designers. I find myself constantly in awe of all the amazing talent that is out there to be enjoyed and celebrated! And in fact, every month it is my pleasure to share an artist I love with the blog readers by doing monthly artist interviews. Always check in on the first Tuesday of the month for the latest! Thank you for stopping by! And thank you, Patience, for your enthusiastic interest in me & my artwork! XOXO